Thanks for stopping by! I've thought about starting a blog for some time now, so here it is! I am a single parent, full-time student, bargain hunting, homeschooling mom to a great kid with some unique needs. Oh, and I'm on a weight loss journey too so yeah, I'm on a mission...or several! So I'm calling myself a M.O.M--Mom on a Mission! Hardly ever a dull moment around here, come along for the ride!





Thursday, March 4, 2010

Big day today!

We've had a bit of an up and down kind of day and it's one of those that we'll look back and remember for awhile.

We finally had our appointment to find out what exactly makes 'the Little' tick. I've briefly mentioned that he's a bit unique and now we know a bit more as to exactly why that is. There has been suspicion that he may have Sensory Processing Disorder and that was confirmed today. There's a huge whirlwind of emotions when you get answers, no matter what they are. I've dealt with the guilt of not being able to figure this out sooner, the regret for so much wasted time, the sadness at another 'label' that confirms that he's 'unique', but also the relief that we're on our way towards progress, and toss in a bit of a renewed confidence in my 'mommy gut' because a mom just knows! So moms out there, when you know something isn't quite right with your babes, follow that instinct and don't question yourself!

He got a taste of therapy today and will actually get to start pretty soon, usually there's a wait but they had an appointment slot that works with our schedules and had just been given permission to fill it with a new patient, so we took it. He really enjoyed the sensory gym and watching him playing brought tears to my eyes. I keep hearing what the psychologist who did his psych eval told me, that there's a marked decrease in the symptoms of anxiety disorder and ADHD when a child is treated for sensory issues. To know that we may have even brighter days ahead makes me want to dance and shout and back flip! He's made SO much improvement just in the last month or so since I took him out of school, and it might get even better?? There's hope that my beautiful boy can lead a relatively 'normal' life! So many things make so much more sense already, and there's more of that in our futures now!

No comments:

Post a Comment