Thanks for stopping by! I've thought about starting a blog for some time now, so here it is! I am a single parent, full-time student, bargain hunting, homeschooling mom to a great kid with some unique needs. Oh, and I'm on a weight loss journey too so yeah, I'm on a mission...or several! So I'm calling myself a M.O.M--Mom on a Mission! Hardly ever a dull moment around here, come along for the ride!





Tuesday, February 23, 2010

So...the missions!

As I said, I'm the M.O.M, that's Mom on a Mission. Right now, I've got several missions and figured it only makes sense to share them here, right?

The mission that is consuming me at the moment is that of Homeschool mom. This is a relatively new mission for me, as I've only recently taken on this challenge. I got fed up with a school system that didn't want to help in the slightest. 'The Little' is a great kid and he was struggling and suffering and I couldn't stand by and watch him slip through the cracks. So I took matters into my own hands, spent some time researching our options, and then in a sort of sudden (yes, I had been planning, but hadn't made a final decision) step, made the last day of the grading period this past January, the last day that 'The Little' had to go to school.

Sure, it's only been what, three weeks? In that short period of time, the changes have been phenomenal. He's so much calmer, the stressful outbursts have calmed (more about his 'uniqueness' at another time) and get this, he's EAGER to learn! As I type this, he's working on a 4 part lesson on language arts and it's not even officially our 'school time' at the moment! I know that kids are born with a love of learning, and I see now how schools that force every kid into that same box or to walk the same line are squashing that in a kid like mine, so I'm doing what I can to keep that love alive! So far, so good!

The consuming part is that, like most other HS'ers I've talked to, I'm on a quest to find *the* ultimate curriculum, learning tools, etc. We're still trying to find our 'groove' so to speak, but little by little, things are falling into place. I'm learning that the best part about schooling at home is that if it doesn't work, we can ditch it and move on to something that will, and that is GREAT!

So, that's the First Mission. More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment